Thursday, October 22, 2009

Dilemmas during SIP process

Dear Friends

I am for the first time writing my feelings in this Blog. I was amazed to see the kind of dilemmas a student goes thru at the time of SIP process.
1. what to choose Fin or marketing
2. Am I really creative to survive in Marketing
3. should I opt for sales or marketing based profiles
4. what is there in really for me, if I go for sales based profiles, my experience with sales has not been really good in past company
5. which company can give me a fast track career
and so on so forth.
more than all this how should I prepare for my summers process, should I know all the brands and the companys they belong, should I be aware of all the jargons, should I know for sure how a new product launch is made in the company ---bla bla bla.
I am really intrigues with so many thoughts in mind and really want people to contribute to these dilemmas, be they practitioners, acadmecians consultant etc.
Any kind of information will rellay help my students at XLRI and many more in the world.
I tried to resolve few today by taking an extra session with the junior BM batch but do not really know how successful I was in doing that. Also I would like to know if there are any more serious dilemmas in the minds of students who sit for SIP.
I am leaving this post with all this set of dilemmas in my mind. But I certainly for sure wish ALL the BEST to all my students for the coming process.

Regards

Sanjeev Varshney

1 comment:

lord_of_strategy said...

Thank you for posting this Sir. Actually, the problem was more due to the kind of orientation we had developed towards marketing during the first semester. What my personal opinion is that for the next year, the students have more of real examples and current issues in marketing taken up in the form of very basic small caselets where they think from a very common sense point of view. In all the presentations, we see facts being represented very well, even the recommendations are given, but we lack in analysis. There is sever need to develop that analysis acumen in us.
The posts by Kartheek are very informative to us about sales and distribution, probably by next year there will be many more such posts to help the students out.